Arguably the biggest event in gaming this year, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 will officially be released on October 28th, 2022. That’s right, Task Force 141 is back, and they’re fighting a war that spans the length and breadth of the globe. Its predecessor, Modern Warfare , was one of the most popular games of 2019. It therefore comes as no surprise that the sequel is built to improve upon this success and has thus received more features and polish to further enhance the experience for players. So what can players expect this time around? And will Modern Warfare 2 prove to be the most popular CoD game yet? Let’s find out!
A Hugely Popular Multiplayer Game
First-person shooters (FPS) games are among the most popular in the world today, and Call of Duty is no exception. You can see just how many players are online at any given time by checking out PlayerCounter , but it’s safe to say that tens of thousands of people are active at virtually all hours of the day. Every month, between 6 and 10 million people play Modern Warfare according to stats from April 2022. It’s hard to refute Modern Warfare’s popularity, and as a top-rated AAA game, it’s likely that the game will still have a massive (and expanding) fanbase for years to come.
The hype for Modern Warfare back in 2019 was palpable, and fans were more than pleased with the many features and improvements the game brought to the table:
It’s clear that Infinity Ward , the game’s developers, live by their mission of “players come first.” In other words, if you want to make a great game that fans will love, listen to them and give them what they want. In principle this is a simple and effective way to create a great product, but the number of studios that actually put players first (as opposed to profits) is a handful at best. However, player satisfaction leads to profit, so the more satisfied and engaged your players are, the more likely it is that they’ll keep coming back for more.
Improving on a Masterpiece
Topping Modern Warfare’s success is an ambitious endeavor, but with Infinity Ward’s simple yet elegant approach, there’s little doubt in my mind that Modern Warfare 2 is a cut above its already impressive predecessor. In many respects, Modern Warfare 2 takes all the best aspects of Modern Warfare, addresses those elements that may have been a little poorly thought-out, and adds new features that will undoubtedly impress and captivate audiences across the world.
Just look at the quality of the cutscenes in that trailer! And to be completely honest, Modern Warfare 2’s in-game graphics are almost as impressive. In fact, when people got a first glimpse of the game’s graphics, many couldn’t tell it apart from real life at first (myself included). I know that graphics alone don’t mean a game will be good, but knowing just how good Modern Warfare’s combat is, there’s no way Modern Warfare 2 will be anything less than excellent.
But graphics aside, what else does Modern Warfare 2 offer fans that sets it apart from its predecessor? Here’s a brief summary of what you can expect:
- Task Force 141 is returning, and in the single-player campaign, you’ll get to fight alongside them and take part in missions all over the world
- Modern Warfare 2 features two new multiplayer modes, Prisoner Rescue and Knockout, as well as fan favorites like Domination, Team Deathmatch and Search & Destroy
- The Gunsmith feature has received a complete overhaul. In other words, you won’t have to grind for hours unlocking the same attachment to use on different weapons, and once you have an attachment, it will be available for use on other weapons in the future
- There will also be a Spec Ops mode that will require players to use their wits to strategically solve puzzles and beat the odds. Not much has been revealed about this at the time of writing, but the devs have described it as “an in-depth two-player cooperative experience”
- After launch, players can expect a ton of upcoming free content that features “evolving gameplay with new maps, modes, seasonal events, community celebrations and more”
The War Rages On
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 officially releases on October 28th, 2022 on multiple platforms including PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X | S, Battle.Net, and Steam . I’m sure fans are just bristling to get into the game and get playing, and I have total confidence that they will be very impressed. Call of Duty has been around for many years and has managed to deliver games that are industry-leading. I wish everyone involved as well as fans of the game a successful launch and very much look forward to seeing more in the future.
So what do you think of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2? Is it going to be the game of the year? Or is it nothing to get excited about? Let us know your thoughts!